Monday, January 15, 2007

Replacing a Kitchen Faucet - A Stubborn Screw and A Stubborn Crew


It's Monday, also the MLK day that makes up a nice long weekend. I had a whole day ahead of me and a long list of things-to-do, one of which is replacing a kitchen faucet set.

I allotted a couple of hours for replacing the old faucet in our kitchen sink. But, in reality, I started the project at 10:30am and finally decided to stop at 2:30pm - that's 4 hours! As it turned out, replacing a kitchen faucet can be extremely time-consuming.

Installing the faucet set is fairly easy and straightforward. The diagram is simple enough. There are three major pieces: the faucet, the level and the spray. The key is connecting hot and cold water pipes with the right hoses. The hardest part is fastening the three different pieces onto the sink due to the tight spaces under the sink. I noticed the improvements made on the newer model. But to install the new set, I needed to remove the old set. And that's where I got stuck - I spent hours trying to remove an old rusty screw below the faucet under the sink!

I lied down under the sink like a car mechanic under the belly of a car holding a flash light while trying to screw off a stubborn screw that's way more stubborn than me. Residue water was spraying and dripping all over my face and arms; little rusty bits were falling off the back side of the sink into my eyes. I tried different wrenches in different poses until my hands and my neck were sore. The skin on my fingers were completely chapped... And the screw just wouldn't budge. I let out a few subdued screams.

I've always enjoyed studying a diagram and putting things together. I've worked on many other home repair and improvement projects - putting together furniture, installing closet racks and shelves, hooking up speakers with stereo - and I never gave up in the middle of a project! But now I'm stuck on this screw. Obviously, I don't have the right tools!

Finally, I was able to drag myself out of my determination of finishing the project. What a triumph! I breathed deeply and realized that I don't have to finish it right now. I can come back to it when I have the right tools.

Now sitting in front of computer as I typed away, I felt calmer and a sense of freedom too. Let's wait until I have the right tools. Patience is a hard-learned virtue that can go a long way!

No comments: